Friday, January 02, 2009

okay here's to 2009

It such a long time since I've posted anything on my blog. Almost forgotten how to write. Rather, write something coherently and interesting enough to keep anybody reading for more than a couple of lines. I've lost on Facebook to be honest. I've accrued a collection of thousands of photographs taken over the last 3 years with my trusty SLR, and thought it's time to share it with the world. Photography has become a bit of an obsession. I'd love to steer my career in the direction of photography an illustration, so organising my collection is a really good idea. I've developed a decent collection handy when creating any illustration, and montage. Yep that's my justification (was a guilty pleasure previously).

What does 2009 hold in store for me? That's a big question, and aside from those niggly resolutions we all have, would just like to improve the quality of my life in all aspects, one step at a time.

Today is the last day of my holidays. I'm freelancing as an Artworker/Designer, so work has been sporadic and slowed down significantly over the past month or two. On Monday I start work again for about 3 weeks at Freeway in Twickenham. A really small agency, with most freelancers / contractors, I go in every now and then to cover leave and help out on design, and whatever else needs to be done.

I sort of vegged out today and watched 4 movies, a sorta record for me. It's just darn cold outside, and as much as there's stuff to do in London, staying in for the day in a warm and cosy room sounded just fine.

First movie was Baby Mamma. Was light-hearted and entertaining, a chick flick about a woman who finds herself infertile and decides to get a surrogate mother to bear her child. It's amusing, lots of chuckles, definitely a chick flick. It has some good cameos from Sigourney Weaver and Steve Martin. It shows the need women have to procreate, the balance between work and family, the choices we make, without being anywhere close to heavy. 7/10.

Next up was Made of Honour. Stars Patrick Dempsey, its about an eternal bachelor who only realises his feelings for his lone term best friend after she decides to up and leave to get married to a stranger she meets on holiday. She asks him to become maid of honour at her wedding. Of course, he obliges, as he thinks it's the only way to make her see that he does love her. This was even more of a chick flick than the previous one, a bit predictable but light-hearted and funny. 7/10.

Next up was Where in the world is Osama Bin Laden. It's from the guy who made Supersize me - Morgan Spurlock. He's just about to have a kid and realises he wants to make the world a better place by finding Osama Bin Laden, or OBL. It takes him to Israel, Palestine, Pakistan, etc. The documentary doesn't actually find Osama (you would have heard about it by now), so if fails in that respect. But where it scores, is showing the humanity of the people behind the stuggle and the politics. At the end of the day, the people of the countries involved in the struggle in the middle east, are just normal people who want the world to be a better place to live in. Isn't that what we all want? I've been saying it all along - why can't everybody just be friends? If we all practiced forgiveness, accountability, charity, compromise the work WILL be a better place. The movie doesn't deliver loads in terms of entertainment value, but it deserves an 8/10 for the message it delivers.

Last was Forgetting Sarah Marshall. This was about a guys who gets dumped by his long term girlfriend. He then goes on holiday, and con-incidently ends up in Hawaii in the same resort as her and her new partner - played by Russell Brant. Okay by the time I watched this I was quite movied-out, so probably didn't enjoy it as much as I might have. It has amusing and funny moments, but drags on a bit. Russell Brant plays himself, and even though he is funny, he can become tedious. It's ultimately about relationships, careers, and the mistakes we make along the way. I can think of better ways to spend 2 hours, but it's watchable. 6/10.

Okay enough movies to today. Time for some reality television, with Celebrity Big Brother, and whatever else I am force-fed. Hopefully I'll have some motivation to face sub zero temperatures and actually cross the threshold of the front door. It'll be the first time this year!

No comments: